Comments: Frozen Food


I too like to keep frozen dumplings on hand. I go through phases--it used to be potstickers, then herb ravioli, now it's Russian pelmenyi!

Oh, dear. I make my own potstickers and freeze them.

Does that make me even more of a food snob than you, Meg? ;-)

Dr. Meg makes potstickers (she calls them gyoza) and they're delicious!
You can get the wonton wrappers at the supermarket.
Chicken or pork browned and food-processed to a fine level.
Ginger, and some other things that I can't remember in the middle of the night fill out the rest of the inside.
Combine in a bowl. Make a glop of it and spoon onto the wonton wrapper.
Use a spoon or your finger to wet the edges of the wrapper and fold it closed sealing it like an envelope of pork product goodness!
Pan fried, deep fried or steamed all produce different textures and the same addiction.

Barbara - no, that just makes you talented! ; )

Bryan - thankyouthankyouthankyou...when I was writing last night I couldn't for the life of me remember "gyozas"!!

I guess I'll have to try my hand at them some day and I'll drop you a line to ask for advice when I do! It sounds like it might be a fun project the next time my stepdaughter visits!

Yup, we're food snobs. It's okay though, we eat really well and can bypass the crud.
Do you have any icey creams in your freezer?

Dr. B, we do indeed frequently have ice cream in there but strangely enough it never seems to stay for long!

We also have my beloved Donvier ice cream maker insert so that we can make home made stuff at the drop of a hat!

hi! just stopping by- wanted to say that this is an interesting twist on the gyoza (or guo tie, as it's known in chinese, quite literally "pot sticker")! i'm chinese and i live in singapore, and i've always eaten it just with dark vinegar, ginger, and nothing else. :)

From Wikipedia:
Jiaozi (Traditional: 餃子; Simplified: 饺子; pinyin: jiǎozi; Wade-Giles: chiao-tzu; Cantonese IPA: /kɑu35 tsi35/, Jyutping: gaau2 zi2) or gyōza is a Chinese dumpling, widely popular in Korea and Japan as well as outside of Northeast Asia.
Chinese dumplings may be divided into various subclasses. Steamed dumplings are called zhēngjiǎo (蒸餃). Boiled dumplings are called "water dumplings" or shuǐjiǎo (水餃). Fried dumplings are called "potstickers" or guōtiē (鍋貼).
The Japanese word gyōza was derived from the reading of 餃子 (jiǎozi in Mandarin Chinese) in the Shandong Chinese dialect and is written with the same characters.
The Korean name of the dish is mandu (만두), and is more or less the same as the Japanese and Chinese versions depicted above.

thanks for nice recipes knowledge share..


Post a comment