I remember once when visiting Meg in Paris, we went to a sort of country club for Irish and British ex-pats and I shocked and horrified the assembled throng by putting hot sauce on my fries. "You can't be serious!" one of them said as I raised a lovely hot sauce soaked chip to my lips.
I was understandably surprised when I read this article today from the TimesOnline about a restaurant shut down as hazmat teams searched for the source of a chemical gas leak or possible terrorist attack in Soho in London.
The source? A batch of dry-fried Thai chiles being made into nam prik pao, a spicy Thai dipping sauce. The Brits have certainly butched up if they're eating that sort of hot food. (But then again, they did call out the hazmat squad.)